Posts Tagged 'Uptown'

Then and Now, Lawrence-Kenmore

1941–Lawrence Avenue @ Kenmore Avenue, view east

2021–the same location

Uptown’s Lawrence Hotel had just been renovated in 1941, becoming the New Lawrence Hotel.  Directly across Lawrence Avenue is the James Restaurant.  Down the block we see the terra-cotta clad Mutual Insurance Building.  Past Sheridan Road, Dr. Preston Bradley’s People Church is visible.

Seventy years later, the hotel is the Lawrence House and the insurance building is the Ecumenical Institute.  The James Restaurant had been replaced by a parking lot.  The People Church remains, carrying on Dr. Bradley’s work.

—30—