Posts Tagged 'South Side'



Then and Now, 79th-Ashland

1928–79th Street @ Ashland Avenue, view east
2022–the same location

The intersection of 79th Street and Ashland Avenue became a major streetcar transfer point during the early years of the 20th century, and a variety of business establishments soon followed. By 1928 the northeast corner was the site of the 2,000-seat Highland Theater, immortalized in the classic book Forty-four Cities in the City of Chicago.

Though public transit is less important today, 79th-Ashland remains a thriving commercial center, with a few of the older buildings replaced by more modern construction. The Highland Theater closed during the 1980s, and its auditorium is now a church.

–30–