Posts Tagged 'Near South Side'

Then and Now, Michigan-15th

1908–Michigan Avenue @ 15th Street, view north

2021–the same location

Our location is halfway between 14th and 16th Streets, where 15th Street would cross Michigan Avenue. In 1908 this was Chicago’s early Automobile Row. A line of horseless carriages is parked along the west side of the street, in front of the G.E. Holmes dealership. The sign on the side of that building includes an advertisement for the French-made Darracq, the “world’s fastest car.”

In 2021 most of the low-rise commercial buildings are gone from this stretch of Michigan Avenue, replaced by high-rises. And has anyone seen a Darracq on the streets lately?