Posts Tagged 'Lakeview'

Then and Now, Eddy-Southport

1908–Eddy Street @ Southport Avenue, view east

2017–the same location

Our location is a short block south of Addison Street.  This part of Lakeview was still thinly settled in 1908.  However, the Ravenswood branch of the North Side ‘L’ had just been extended through the area, with a station at Southport.  New construction was already starting to pick up.

In 1914 a baseball stadium for the fledgling Federal League opened a few blocks east of here.  Though the Federal League didn’t last, the ballpark still stands, and has given the neighborhood a new name—Wrigleyville.

—30—

Then and Now, Clark-Diversey

1958--Clark Street @ Diversey Parkway, view northwest

1958–Clark Street @ Diversey Parkway, view northwest

2016--the same location

2016–the same location

This is the heart of East Lakeview.  Here an old trail to the north split into two parts.  The western branch continued on as Clark Street.  The eastern branch became Evanston Avenue, and later, Broadway—note the bus peeking out at the right side of the older photo.

For a while in the 1970s and ’80s, local merchants here tried rebranding their community as New Town, an obvious attempt to cash in on the popularity of Old Town.  During that time, the old building at the top of the intersection was torn down.  Its modern replacement has since housed a giant Ace Hardware, a Border’s Bookstore, a Walgreen’s, and perhaps other businesses I’ve forgotten.

—30—

Then and Now, Ashland-Belmont

1944--Ashland @ Belmont, view north

1938–Ashland Avenue @ Belmont Avenue, view north

2015--the same location

2015–the same location

The older photo documents a long-forgotten Chicago story.  The large building with the tower, on the left of the picture, was a Wieboldt’s department store.  When Ashland Avenue was being widened in 1929, the east end of the building needed to be lopped off.  The company and the city got into a dispute over the bill for the work.  While the matter moved through the courts, the building remained in place—which meant that one block of Ashland was narrower than the rest.

Shortly after the 1938 photo, the court found in favor of Wieboldt’s, and the city paid for the demo work on the east wing of the store.  The 2015 photo shows how the building has been truncated.

—30—

 

 

Then and Now, Belmont-Ashland

1955--Belmont Avenue @ Ashland, view west

1955–Belmont Avenue @ Ashland Avenue, view west

2013--the same location

2013–the same location

The triple intersection of Lincoln-Belmont-Ashland began developing as a major shopping center in the early 1900s. It became even busier once the Ashland bridge over the Chicago River was completed a mile to the south in 1937. By 1950 the area ranked second in sales of all the city’s outlying districts, trailing only 63rd-Halsted.

In recent decades many neighborhood shopping centers have suffered hard times. However, this one continues to thrive.

—30—