1912–Indiana Avenue @ 33rd Boulevard, view north
2017–the same location
Located a block apart, Indiana Avenue and Michigan Avenue have long been paired. Michigan was a Park District boulevard, while Indiana carried commercial traffic, including a streetcar line. At this location, instead of plain old 33rd Street, we have 33rd Boulevard—a Park District thoroughfare linking Michigan with South Park Way (King Drive).
Today Indiana and Michigan Avenues continued to be paired, as complementary one-way streets. Meanwhile, most of the buildings in the older photo have been replaced by components of the expanding Illinois Institute of Technology campus.
1939–Cottage Grove Avenue @ 35th Street, view northwest
2014–the same location
Following the path of an old trail, Cottage Grove Avenue originally began at 22nd-Indiana and angled southeast to 39th Street, where it continued due south at 800 East. As one of Chicago’s oldest thoroughfares, Cottage Grove was lined with commercial buildings. This particular intersection also marked the starting point of Vincennes Avenue, the street behind the Standard Oil sign in the older photo.
In 1955 the city began clearing land for the Lake Meadows development and other renewal projects. Since then the area has been completely transformed, and most of Cottage Grove north of 35th Street has been vacated.