Posts Tagged 'Austin'

Then and Now, Laramie-Harrison

1912–Laramie Avenue @ Harrison Street, view south

2021–the same location

In 1912 the Garfield Park ‘L’ crossed Laramie Avenue on the ground, with a station just out of the photo to the left.  Convenient access to the ‘L’ meant that houses were starting to pop up nearby. To the south, Laramie crossed the B&O/CT freight yards, also at grade.

In 2021 both grade crossings are gone.  Blue Line trains run in the median of the depressed Eisenhower expressway, a block south of the former Garfield Park right-of-way (though there is no longer a station at Laramie).  And a viaduct now spans the freight yards.