With the opening of the Michigan Avenue Bridge in 1921, the avenue north of the river began to be transformed. Marshall & Fox’s Lake Shore Trust and Savings Bank, on the northeast corner of Michigan and Ohio, has just been completed in the 1923 picture. Most of the buildings here are still small, and the Water Tower is clearly visible in the distance.
Today’s Michigan Avenue has become the Magnificent Mile. Now tall buildings dwarf the Water Tower. That landmark bank building still stands at Ohio Street, though it has been converted to retail use.