Western Avenue was being physically transformed in 1957. Buses have recently replaced streetcars and the tracks have been paved over, though the overhead wires have not yet been removed. Meanwhile, the old incandescent street lamps are being replaced with Mercury vapor lights.
Today many of the old buildings still remain along this stretch of Western. However, both the McCarthy and Burke auto dealerships are gone, reflecting the dispersal of the city’s South Side Irish community.