During the 1850s, the Jefferson Park community began growing up near the point where the Chicago & North Western railroad crossed Milwaukee Avenue. The photo location is a few blocks south of there. By 1955 the Milwaukee-Lawrence intersection was a well-established and prosperous shopping district.
Sixty years later, many of the old stores are gone. However, Hoyne Savings still does business on the southwest corner of the intersection. And just up Milwaukee Avenue, the Jefferson Park Blue Line station has joined the long-established railroad station to provide a steady flow of foot traffic through the area.