Sixty years ago, this intersection was in unincorporated Norwood Park Township, a half-mile west of the Chicago city limits at Canfield Avenue. Both Higgins and Cumberland were two-lane rural roads. But that was soon to change.
O’Hare Airport was opened to commercial traffic in 1955. A few years later the Northwest (Kennedy) Expressway was constructed just south of here, and eventually the ‘L’ came through. Today this stretch of Higgins serves as the boundary between Chicago and Park Ridge, with large hotels, office buildings, and apartments on the Chicago side of the border.