The 1946 photo captures some overflow from the Union Stock Yards. At one time Chicago’s yards were the largest such facility in the world. Except for a few blocks in the southwest corner, they occupied close to a full square mile–Halsted to Ashland, Pershing to 47th Street.
After decades of declining business, the yards closed for good in 1971. Today the land is an industrial park, perhaps not so colorful, but certainly more pleasing to the nostrils.