As a half-section street located exactly one-half-mile south of the Madison base-line, Harrison Street developed into a major West Side thoroughfare. In the 1951 photo the north side of the street is lined with a variety of businesses. The “green hornet” streetcar–the latest innovation in transit vehicles–is preparing to turn left onto diagonal Fifth Avenue, and will eventually reach the Loop via Madison Street.
Two years after the first photo was taken, work began on the Congress (Eisenhower) Expressway. The buildings along the north side of Harrison were demolished, converting the street into a frontage road. Fifth Avenue was chopped in two by the expressway, and CTA service on that street was discontinued.